Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I'm doing a happy dance!


I had an eye appointment today – the result: there’s no inflammation in my eyes, no sign of problems being caused by medications, and while my left eye is still quite dry, my right eye is fine. Even better, my vision has improved and my eye muscle control is back within the normal range. Yay! It was so nice to go to see a medical professional, and have them tell me things were good!

Things have been better lately, in general. My new medication combination kicked in about a month ago. To be honest, I’d kind of given up hope that this would work. I knew it would take a while for the new med to start working, but when it had got to three then four and five months on it, and I was still getting worse rather than better, I figured it just wasn’t going to happen. Around the six month mark, I started to notice some improvements.

For most of this year, things have been pretty shaky (no pun intended) in terms of my health. There were days, weeks sometimes, where the tremors were so bad I couldn’t get around the house unassisted, and even when my limbs weren’t actively shaking I still felt pretty unsteady on my feet. There was more than one occasion where I lay on the floor, unable to get up after falling, and many times where I got stuck on the couch because my legs had gone numb and I couldn’t stand. There have been many days where I couldn’t leave the house because my guts were too messed up, and many, many days where one nap just wasn’t enough. There’ve been days where my eyes have been too blurry to do anything useful, and days my speech has got so slurry and word-salady it’s hard for people to understand me.

Things are by no means perfect now. My bad days are still pretty bad – still plenty of shaky legs, messed-up guts, word-salad and nap-taking – but on the good days I feel far closer to normal than I have in months. And there are far more good days than there used to be too.

On Monday I did a yoga class. It wasn’t entirely a success – my shoulder has been hot and inflamed since, and a few of my other joints are complaining loudly, but I did the whole class! That’s a long way from not being able to get off the couch. As I walked home from the class – yes, I even walked to and from the class, which would be FAR more impressive if it wasn’t in the building next to mine – this song came on my ipod. I think that was the universe’s way of reminding me to reflect and be thankful for how far I’ve come. Thanks Universe!  

Thanks for reading

Little Miss Autoimmune

2 comments:

  1. congrats on the yoga!!! thats amazing!! and so glad that you are having more good days. <3 I am doing a happy dance with (and for) you!

    ReplyDelete